Saturday, March 18, 2006

Why we homeschool

Several years ago, as we were contemplating enrolling our son in kindergarten we were not satisfied with the options available for us. It wasn't that we didn't find excellent schools with super academics and curriculum or that we were unsatisfied with the entire institution. We just didn't find peace when considering those schools for our son. We shopped around at many schools and weighed the pros and cons of each. We narrowed it down to 2 and then thought that we would revisit the one top choice (a Christian school in a nearby community). We attended the evening open house with our son Thomas. Wayne and I had visited that same school earlier in the day and thought it wise to show Thomas the school that he may be attending in the fall. As we sat there listening (for Wayne and I it was the second time in one day to hear this information) to the administrators and teachers describe their school and the things that the school offered, I found myself thinking to myself "I think I'd like to be a Christian educator one day. But how would I do that? I'd have to go back to school to get a teaching license, put the kids in day care etc. etc." Then, God placed into my hands "you can do that now, with your own children, at home". WHOA! I didn't realize the magnitude of that message then, but knew that our future would be changed significantly. Wayne and I began praying about what choice would be the best for Thomas. Homeschooling was it. We did much research and continued praying. We were soon convicted that this was God's plan for our child. We were uncertain about how homeschooling worked. We wondered if we had the skills to do it. We felt baffled by all the choices of curriculum that could be used. We looked into support groups and things that were offered in our geographical area and were amazed to find the numbers of families and opportunities available. We kept praying all along. With God's great mercy and grace, we have come to find that this is truly where we as a family should be. This is God's plan for our children and we will answer the call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home